Upon first entering the hotel's open atrium, many guests gaze upward in a moment of awe. Our client's 20-story hotel overlooks the heart of Tampa's downtown waterway. Our customer wanted quality commercial flooring to match their location and spacious architecture.
The client selected Durkan's custom yarn placement (CYP) textured carpet with two large-scale, abstract patterns of spirals and a pattern which seems to simulate small ripples on the water. The public spaces (i.e., the prefunction areas, the meeting rooms, and the ballroom) were installed over a thicker synthetic fiber cushion. Each individual tread of the double, spiral, grand staircases was upholstered by hand and accompanied by 17-inch solid stringers. The guestroom corridors received carpet with a thinner attached cushion.
A main entrance to the hotel needed a new hard surface to walk off the exterior conditions. So, we provided and installed porcelain tile with a travertine visual. The tile's rectified edges allowed us to set the tile with narrow grout joints in a 33% offset horizontal layout.
The schedule required that we replace almost one guest floor per day. Sequencing of product handling, acclimation, and installation was punctuated by near around-the-clock coordination with reservations, guest services, housekeeping, and engineering. We finished two days ahead of schedule and on budget.
Another unique factor of this project was created by the open atrium. The rails would have easily permitted both tools and debris to either fall through the spindles or slip under the bottom frames. We safeguarded against the risk by constructing a continuous, 150-foot canvas barricade which we secured on the top rails and under the bottom frames to close the gaps. The safety curtains also minimized visibility to the hotel's guests.
Soft Surface: Hospitality Carpet
- Manufacturer: Durkan by Mohawk
- Collection: Lakir
- Fiber: 100% Nylon
- Face Weight: 42 Ounces/SY
- Construction: Level Cut-pile
- Colors: Custom Colors, Including Tones of Beige, Brown, and Blue
- Format: Tufted Broadloom
- Roll Width: 15 Feet
- Backing for Public Spaces: Standard
- Backing for Guest Corridors: Attached Cushion
- Pattern Repeat for Public Spaces: 15' x 15'
- Pattern Repeat for Guest Corridors: 7.5' x 7.5'
- Feature: Large Patterns, Durability, Comfortable Walk
- Installation Method for Public Spaces: Double-stick Installation
- Installation Method for Guest Corridors: Direct-glue Installation
- Compliment: 4-Inch Carpet Base
Hard Surface: Porcelain Ceramic Tile as Faux Stone
- Distributor: Ceramic Technics LTD
- Style: Napoli Mill Travertine Porcelain Tile
- Color: Caramel
- Appearance: Stone Visual
- Tile Size: 12 inches x 24 inches x 10 mm
- Edge: Rectified
- Finish: Matte
- Layout: Horizontal 33 Percent Offset
- Feature: High Durability and Easy Maintenance
- Installation Method: Thin-set Installation with 1/8-Inch Grout Joints
- Transitions: Schulter Jolly Chrome Ceramic-to-Carpet Transition